Monday, December 06, 2004

An Update to Jimmy's Update

I think I did write about this, but I'm not sure - the little brou-ha-ha over Jimmy flying down to see his Dad over the weekend. Randy and Jimmy are still in kind of a feud, and, of course, I'm in the middle and think both of them are acting like children. And no, neither has an excuse.

Anyway, Jimmy and I had a little confab on the way to the airport (a roughly 45-50 minute drive from Guthrie). He asked me if I would be upset if he dropped Honors Calculus. "I'm just not getting it," he said. I can certainly understand not getting math, so I asked him what his grade was. It was like a B or a C. And, you know, if it was a C or a D I might have been sympathetic. I think some of the problem is everything has always just came to him. Now he's in a class he has to think about, has to work at. Having to ask for help is okay (just hard to do).
Also he's unsure about college (I'm not!!) - he doesn't know what to study. He had always assumed he would go into video game programming. I'm sorry to say, reality has hit him in the face. He's not an artist, heck he can't draw at all! And he really doesn't like computers. I told him he would be a good teacher, although they don't make alot of money (more than me!). He kind of agreed with me. And I didn't say so, he'd probably make a good lawyer, too. He's stubborn and argumentative.

I'm sorry, I'm believe that even if you end up a Wal-Mart greeter, a college education is it's own reward. And one should consider themselves lucky to be able to get one.

No comments: