Tuesday, December 21, 2004

My News...

Requires background.

Per Wikipedia here (it has a map - which I can't figure out how to copy over here), Roger Mills County is a county located in the state of Oklahoma. As of 2000, the population is 3,436. Its county seat is Cheyenne.

The only thing I know is there is the Washita Battlefield National Historic Site, where Custer massacred pretty much every Native American he could see (and for that he has a county named after him!)
This is the area my dad and his family are from (he lived in Clinton, in Custer county, to the east of Roger Mills).
And thus we harken back to the last days of the oil bubble in the '80s. Some aunt of my Dad's (with some hideous Okie name like Gladys) signed an oil lease for something like $700,000. Which hacked my Dad off, because he thought he and his sister, my Aunt Ruth Ann, owned said property - because the late uncle had left it to them. Big arguments followed which were confusing, because I kind of ignored it. And more arguments when said aunt passed - somehow it was declared that Daddy and Ruth Ann were heirs to half and one of the seven heirs to the other half (actually taxes took most).
Afterwards, Daddy would always look to see what kind of drilling was going on out there. But the bubble had popped, and nothing come of it.
Now we fast-forward to the 21st Century, and I had forgotten about the property in Nowheresville, Oklahoma. Oklahoma was played out, I thought. I was talking to my sister yesterday, and she told me there were a couple of companies interested. My cousin had been trying to get a hold of her to get my address.
So. There is a new lease on the property in Roger Mills County. Since I have seen nothing on paper, it's really not real to me.
Surreal, maybe.

No comments: