Sunday, June 12, 2005

You know I wrote below about my son's screwing off his senior year. And how I'd never seen one report card, or class progress report.

Well...

I got his final report card (paper?) in the mail, oh, like, Friday. And my idea of screwing off and his idea of screwing off are two different things.

He at the end of the year he had 4 B's and 3 A's.

Looking at the breakdown there are some things from the first semester I would have been concerned about: He had C's in Yearbook in the first semester (A's the second); he also had C's in AP English (but pulled out a final B) - yeah, that one would have hacked me off (that one he did screw off). And then there's Honors Calculus, the class I told him he couldn't quit (but he did anyway). If I did it all over I would say the same thing, "NO, you have a B! That's not 'not getting it'!" I got out of Del City High School with a 1.7 GPA (not to mention getting out of grade school knowing no math at all), I know about "not getting it" and screwing off.

There is nothing wrong with an honest D, if you worked your hardest to get it. Somebody (hello...hello...hello...) please explain this to me. Is this some kind of honor student/perfectionist dealie?

But, yeah, my first look at his grades were with a good deal of confusion. I went into his room and said, "These grades aren't bad, I don't know why you wouldn't show them to me!"
"Well that's just barely a B (in English)."

OK.

And he's MY son! Wow.