Saturday, June 04, 2005

No Shit?!

WASHINGTON, D.C., Jun 2 (OneWorld) -
Doctors and insurance companies are wrong to blame the U.S. medical malpractice crisis on a supposed explosion of lawsuits and skyrocketing jury awards, say new studies.

Insurance companies have been given a pass when it comes to their culpability for way too long now. We have to pick our doctors and hospitals not according to who's convienient, but who's on the list. Let's take my psychiatrist, Dr. Chak - as long as he was a part of the Decsions program, all well and good for my insurance, but when I need to see him for followup care afterward, no luck - he's not on the list. Now I'm on my last refill of Zoloft (and I'm back to being not real happy with it), and my counselor (who's on the list) has given me the name of another psychiatrist, but her office hasn't called me back (which feeds back into the "I hate to be ignored" thing).

And then we get to go into the whole formulary thing, where it ends up being the insurance company who decides what drugs we are prescribed, we have to have something on the formulary, because we can't afford full price.

I would rather my family's and my healthcare be in our and our physicians hands.

But I can't afford that.

No comments: