Saturday, February 12, 2005

My long weekend is over...

I was supposed to get off early enough on Tuesday to go meet with the mortgage loan officer at my bank in Guthrie. She's kind of an itinerant - and is in different offices on different days. Well, I had a long call and missed her. I did speak to a regular loan guy. I'm thinking of going that route. Yeah, the interest rate will be variable, but they will overlook my not great credit. One wrinkle that has now been overcome, the land is in the M-in-L's name (loooong story), but she is going to transfer it to us - then he will be able to do a 20 or 30 year loan. I just have to start filling out the app, and figuring out just how much we need. Closer and closer to a new house!

On the family front:

My son's joining the Navy. He's taking the physical and stuff today. Thursday, we went to buy his (overdue) tag, and after that I needed to buy 2 new tires (bald! Scary!). My thought (as such was put into it) was to go to Walmart, since I had got 2 tires last summer at a Walmart, so they would match.

I've been frustrated with the kid this year. He has a brilliant mind, but no drive. I've been looking for colleges for him since his freshman year. He's been an honor student practically his whole life (he had a 4th grade reading level in 1st grade!) . I just couldn't get him to want to do anything. And this year, his Senior year, his grades are suffering (heck, he won't even show me a report card - though he swears his GPA is around 3.0). I've said this before, I'm cool with him not being ready for college. A lot of kids aren't. But for my kid, doing nothing after high school is not an option. Because I know from experience life then drags you along until one day you wake up (say at 45) with little to show from your life. NOT. MY. KID.

Anyway, on the way to get said tires, I was talking to (at?) Jimmy. Not getting anywhere. He thinks he's a loser. He doesn't know what he wants to do. I tell him there's just not that much opportunity here in Oklahoma (unless you can get on out at Tinker or GM). I might as well have been talking to a rock. I got frustrated (and angry). I dropped him off at the recruiter, I had a question (which, at the moment, I've forgotten) I wanted to ask. While I was there, Jimmy was sullen and uncooperative, so I suggested that I'd go buy my tires and come back. (OT - can Walmart TAKE any longer to put on tires?) When I got back, the recruiter said, "Let's tell your mom what you've decided." At that time, I was ecstatic. Jimmy was going to get the physical and stuff on Saturday, but I had to drop him off at the recruiters Friday night.

Friday morning, Jimmy was giving me this, "You know I don't really want to join the Navy." I told him he didn't have to do anything he didn't want to do. I tried to tell him I thought he was a smart, funny guy. That he's not a loser. I don't know if anything got through. But I kind of feel like a crumb. I don't think I forced him into it, but I kind of feel that way. The hubby says Jimmy's playing me, that it's for the best. I don't know how to feel. I don't want him to hate me, but I'm not going to just sit around and let him screw up his life.

Sigh.

No comments: