Wednesday, July 14, 2004

It Just Started Out Bad...

And then didn't get better.

5:00 AM: The dog alarm goes off. What is the dog alarm? That's when our Basset Hound, Bubba, decided he needed to go potty. He usually goes off at 5:00, but sometimes at 4:00. I walk him and the entourage: Rogue the Dachshund, Heidi the Shepard Mix, Whiskers and Midnight the cats. He potties and we come back in and I fall asleep on the recliner for two hours or so. That's how it's supposed to go. I get Bubba outside, first I notice the neighbor's dogs are barking (but that's not actually news), then it was like a ghost, a tall, white dog running back to our back yard - Cheyenne the wolf hybrid was loose. Luckily, she comes when you call. I put her in the house and wait for my husband to wake up. I tried to sleep, but no, Cheyenne was too hyper, like a two-year-old child. And Bubba became Humpy.
So, from 5:00AM to 7:30AM it was, ""No, Cheyenne!" or "Get off, Bubba!"
At 7:30, I openned our bedroom door and Cheyenne and Bubba ran in and jumped on their Daddy.
Sweet relief, since they both love their Daddy! Cheyenne was put back and fed in the backyard. I made breakfast. Then we watched Once Upon A Time In Mexico (Oh my God, Antonio Banderas!). 11:00AM rolls around, hubby goes to mow, I'm relaxing on the futon, since I have to leave for work at 11:30(which gives me a 10 to 15 minute window when I get there). The next thing I know, Midnight the cat is happily purring away, laying on my neck. It's 11:40. I grab lunch and go. From Guthrie to Moore is about 43 miles, but I35 all the way. I notice a shimmy at higher speeds. I slow down, but it doesn't help. The car feels like it's skating. Passing Edmond, I hear a CLUNK coming from the back end. Car noise is louder than normal. I turn up the radio, but I'm at the freakout point as it is. The shimmy is getting worse. Let me say this - I HATE CAR TROUBLE! I hear more clunks around SE66th, and I pull over. No tires flat, nothing looks wrong, I get back in and start praying I can make it to work. I get into Moore, just north of the Shields overpass, and I hear CLUNK, FLAP, FLAP, FLAP. Yay. It's 12:26, my shift starts at 12:30. I pull over, I discover, that while all my tires do have air in them, the passenger side rear no longer has tread.
Now, I can change a tire. The only problem I have is loosening the lug nuts (damn impact wrenches!). I can't the the lugs loosened. Now I'm crying. I call my work, tell them I'll be late. I call my husband, basically to cry, because he's 40 miles away, and unable to help. Thankfully, a semi-truck driver,with Swift, stopped and changed my tire. Thank you, Swift Driver!!
I spent my lunch, plus an extra hour and 15 minutes, a total of an hour and 45 minutes, at Wal-Mart buying two tires. So I can not drive home on a temporary tire.
God, I'm tired.

UPDATE: The tires I bought are crap. I was supposed to buy some other brand. And why didn't I buy just one tire, these other tires are still good. Hubby: Do I have to do everything? Me: Tire-wise, Yes!
**SIGH**

No comments: