Tuesday, July 06, 2004

I'm Psyched!

Kerry-Edwards!! Freakin' fantastic!!!

I almost voted for Edwards in the Primary. You know his "Two Americas" really spoke to me, but I thought he was too nice and the Republican machine would eat him up. I voted for Dean.

But I should have remembered our last Governors election. Steve Largent deigned to descend from heaven (Washington DC), to accept the mantle of governorship. His campaign was considered a juggernaut, unbeatable. The main opponent, former Republican, restauranteur Vince Orza. Then out of left field (well, more like center), comes Brad Henry. His first ads were just basic introductions, himself (then a state representative from Shawnee), his wife (a teacher in Shawnee), and his 3 girls. You came away thinking, "What a nice guy. Largent would tear him to pieces."
So, sorry Brad, I voted for Orza in the primary, even though I liked Henry, because I wanted someone winnable. Brad Henry won the primary and went on to win the election because he's a nice guy, and Largent showed himself to be the nasty, self-absorbed prick that he is.

I guess that's what the difference is in this election. Since the government is supposed to be "...of the people, by the people and for the people..." it ends up being a reflection of all us. What are we showing now? What do we want to show?
I want my government to be about the best of all of us, strength, compassion, tolerance, hope, optimism, resolve.

No comments: