Friday, October 08, 2004

He knew he shouldn't be here. Maybe... Maybe he was dangerous. He needed to go away - far away, to figure out who, or what, he had become.
But here he still was, as if looking into a window on the past. Some questions had been answered, replaced with others. Why was still there, and it cut right to the bone.
Then he noticed her, a little speck in the distance, sitting on the dock looking into the dark water moving beneath her. She shouldn't be there. She wasn't allowed in the daytime, much less now. He could vaguely hear her mother calling for her. She should be able to hear, why was she ignoring her mother?

"What are you doing, sweetie?" You would think you could hear his heart break. "You know you shouldn't be here."

"I wanted to see you, Daddy. Mommy said you were gone. That I wasn't going to see you any more."

"I have to go away, sweetie. I'm not...I don't..."

"Then take me with you!"

"Oh, honey, you know I can't do that," his voice breaks, "Daddy has changed and nobody can know. I have to go now. You run back to the house, your mother's frantic. Just know I will always, always love you! You will always be my little girl! Now go home! Go on!"

He watches the girl run back to the house, the frantic cries for the girl turning into anger. He swims away.

No comments: