Monday, January 16, 2006

A Pretty Good Weekend

Though, technically, the middle of my work week.

I had told the Hubby of my dream to own 2 Bassets and 2 Dachshunds: 2 big wienie dogs and 2 little wienie dogs. Besides, we have to have some sort of watchdog, even if she's just an alarm. Bassets are big love puppies. They just don't know strangers. Dachshunds are fierce watchdogs, with more courage than brains. Like this story, from a couple years ago, where a doxie attacks a bear. Typical.

Well, the Hubby still isn't ready for another Basset - and even further since the setbacks of last week, but warmed to the idea of a dachshund puppy. So, Saturday, I was at work, looking online at the Oklahoman's dog classified ads - no Bassets, lots of Dachshunds.
"So, I should buy a paper?" the Hubby asks (I call him on breaks, otherwise I go insane), when I tell him about the ads I saw.
"I guess so."
At lunch he told me he was thrown out of Wal-Mart because he brought in a dog. A doxie female we've named "Ziva" after the Israeli agent on NCIS. We're calling her dappled, because we really don't know, she's brown and black and right now the size of a rat. Bubba's still intimidating to her (he's delighted, and so gentle with her), but she loves the cat! Luckily, even though he's a neutered male, he's very maternal, and lets Ziva play with him (for a while), and even licked her face (which Ziva really didn't like).

Sunday was a settling in day. Not expecting anything to happen. Playing with the puppy. Making sure Bubba wasn't jealous. Watching the previous weeks recorded tv shows. We get a phone call. I don't recognize the number or person, which usually means I don't answer the phone, but this time I did. It was a representative from Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue! And while concerned with Bubba's full manhood, it wasn't an automatic decline, and not having a fenced yard was also not an automatic decline! She wanted to make sure Bubba's up to date with his vacinations (he is!), and we'll have to have a home visit, and then we pick which one we want!!

Oh, I sooo don't want to jinx this!!

No comments: