Friday, January 13, 2006

God-Forbid I Wanted A Child

All I wanted was to get a companion for Bubba and the Hubby. Since Cooter's passing, Bubba wants to be walked about every two hours, less to potty than to find a friend to play with.

Since there haven't been any Basset puppies in the paper, I thought, hey, how about a shelter or rescue Basset, not unlike our own Bubba, once a stray in the neighborhood. Looked up on petfinders.com, found Beatrice in Yukon, OK. I thought, Wow, a sign from God! My Mother's name was (is?) Bea. We get there, and while I was walking Bubba, excited from all the dogs there, the Hubby went inside. Well, he was asked A LEADING QUESTION: do you have a fenced yard? Unfortuneatly, the Hubby answered honestly - no, we live on about an acre and a half outside of town. Our dogs are inside dogs, going out to potty on a leash, (or, in the case of Heidi and Rogue just letting them out - they weren't Basset Hounds and stayed in the yard). Always in our sight. Didn't matter, that was their rule. Too bad, so sad.

Well, The Hubby and Bubba were crushed, and I felt like a crumb for having suggested it. Not to mention, if there is a God (which I doubt), he (she/it) is toying with us. I don't appreciate it.

I decided to try a rescue operation. Filled out the app online. Just heard back from one (I filled out 2), because Bubba (who, remember, just wandered into our lives) wasn't neutered and our cat doesn't have his vacinations we can't adopt. It doesn't matter that we're good canine and feline parents. That we treat them better than some people do their actual kids.

Oh, well, I guess we wait for a puppy. I know Bubba's lonely, but his whining is really getting on my nerves.
I'd like to say I tried, but I only feel so worthless. I can't even get a throwaway dog.

No comments: