Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Hubby's Bad Day

Yesterday just started out wrong. I was going to put cooter out to potty (because he doesn't run away like Bubba). And there was Cheyenne (the wolf hybrid - see November archive). Cooter yelps and runs away down the hall, Bubba starts his horn-dawg whine. I shut the door quickly. She had snapped her cable. I woke Randy up and put Cheyenne on the leash and brought her in the house. Then I went to Wally-World to buy a new cable. Of course, they only had one type - for dogs under 70lbs. Yay. Well, it'll be a stop gap measure, I told myself. Got her hooked up, everything good, I went to work (stopping to vote along the way).

On my first break, the Hubby told me he had to have Heidi (our 10 year + Sheppard mix, aka the smart one) put to sleep. Heart worms and congestive heart failure. She had been declining fast the past few weeks, so I knew it was inevitable. She was a good dog; a mean puppy; and smart as a whip. When she was almost a year old, the Hubby had to have his galbladder removed. While we were in the hospital, John, the Hubby's dad, taught her some tricks: Sit up and shake she did for free, roll over, round and round, down and crawl she only did for treats. She will be missed.

And remember, this was just by my first break.

I should have called during my lunch, but I went to Wendy's instead. It didn't occur to me anything else could go wrong. It did.

The Hubby called me at around 1:30. He was in so much pain, he said, he could hardly move. He sounded like he was at death's door. Cheyenne had gotten loose again and attacked the neighbor's dog. COME HOME. That was easier said than done, but I was able to leave (making today - being my Friday - extra long).

When I got home I learned that Cheyenne had followed Max, the neighbors dog back home. Their 3-year old openned the door. Luckily, that scared her, and she ran home. That time she broke the loop on her collar, so the Hubby attached the cable directly to the collar. The Hubby said he almost killed her then and there. What were we going to do? We've been trying to give her away since Rogue was killed. She doesn't understand what she's doing. She's just protecting her area. Well you can probably see where this is going, we had her put down. I just don't understand. She's not viscious, but that said, she's attacked a dog, our cat Artie, and killed Rogue. But she loved Bubba, and us. Oh, we are, of course paying Max's vet bills, it's only fair.

We went from 4 dogs to 2 dogs in one day. The Hubby's calling himself a murderer.

Can we just stick to Dachshunds, Bassetts, and small-to-medium Heinz 57's?

No comments: