Saturday, March 12, 2005

Brown Sheep News

We closed on the house Thursday. I'm in a goodly bit of debt for the next 20 years.

There was a little bit of exitement regarding the moving of the hovel. There's some official form you have to get from the county. To get said form you have to provide: the title, where it's being moved to, in whose name it's going, and the current years taxes. Pretty cut and dried.

Except, I never got a title. Being the brown sheep of the family (i.e., not good enough to be white, not bad enough to be black), my Dad cosigned for the hovel - this being just before Mama's stroke. Then we had problems. No, I'm not making excuses for it. Jesus God, as depressed as I am, I couldn't begin to put a positive spin on it. Let's just say, right now I don't feel like a complete WHB (worthless human being). Let's let the past be the past.

I end up having to call my sister, to see what was going on (Mama put her on their account way before her stroke). Turns out, it was supposed to be repossessed, but they didn't do it, my sister says, because it didn't look like it was worth anything.

Me and the Hubby don't really understand that. It looks perfectly fine (well except for the skirting, but that's not a part of the house) on the outside. It's the inside that's falling apart. Odd.

Back to the present, we're pitching a fit because it doesn't look like we can move the hovel for the nice, new house. I called the mobile home place and they suggested we move it to the side for now and go on with the new house. OK. We call the trucker to suggest that, and the Hubby tells him that if he had his druthers, he would hook the house up to the John Deere and move it to the M-in-L's down country roads. "You can do that?" the trucker asked. Yeah, the hubby tells him there's only the one major road to cross and one corner that may be tight. "Oh, I can do that."

Cool. Dodged a bullet there. Now the front and back porch is gone (thanks to my stepson, his friends and beer), with just a few cinder blocks for stairs. Now we have to move all the trash, leaves and such that accumulated under the porch in the last 10 years.

The hovel gets moved Monday. The guy putting in the concrete runners can't come until the end of the week, and it takes, roughly, 5 days to dry (weather permitting). So the earliest the house will be delivered will be the end of next week. We'll be staying at the M-in-L's until it's ready.

No comments: