Monday, August 08, 2005

Adventures in Blood Letting

Today was the blood drive. I always attempt donation. Well, when it's the Oklahoma Blood Institute, which has a knowledgeable, caring staff, great, quality t-shirts and excellent snacks. I will never give blood with the Red Cross again (they hurt me, and have flimsy t-shirts, and no snacks, and did I mention THEY HURT ME).

I've had occasions, in my blood-giving adult life, where I couldn't donate. Mostly because of low iron (which is what the icky finger-stick is for - they put a drop into a vial containing blue liquid and if it floats - low iron - no go). But today, before I even got to the icky finger-stick part, I had to have my tempurature taken three times! The first time was 100.0 (which kind of alarmed me because I feel fine) and a no-go. The second was 99.6, one tenth off. Then I went and got a drink of water, and then had to wait a bit because I did get a drink of water - 99.4 and acceptable. After that, it was pretty routine. Although I did have to wait for the blood pressure cuff, they had only brought one in the Blood-mobile. The tourniquet wasn't doing it for my finicky veins. Got to watch most of that King Arthur movie, where Arthur is a Roman soldier. Pretty good.

Of course the best thing is being off the phone for almost 2 hours!

Worth it's weight in blood.

No comments: