Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Thoughts On A Long Weekend

Since me and the Hubby are still taking care of M-in-L, we're kind of limited on going and doing. So we did short jaunts. We messed around (you pretty much have to drag me kicking and screaming from a bookstore) then ate out on Saturday. Went to a gun show Sunday (more thoughts on that later). Did our grocery shopping on Monday. I also helped my son sign up for Sat II tests and start on the ACT form. He's considering not taking the regular SAT, since now most universities accept the ACT. Yeah, for a long weekend, it kind of sucked.

Speaking of my Mother-in-Law, the Hubby and I are getting a little frustrated with M-in-L. It's, oh I don't know, It's like she's not trying to get better. She's not making an effort in her own recovery. Now, I know the older you are, the longer it takes to recover. She's not what I'd consider old. She doesn't want to go back to work (she's getting close to retirement age), which I think is a mistake (Hellfire, my Grandma Ben["Grandma Ben, when are you going to retire?" "When I get old!"] worked until the day before she died. Yes, she was working part-time, but that's not the point. She was one of the youngest people I've known. Oh, and my Mom! It's like she didn't even want to think after she retired, she just wanted to read romance novels - GAK!). She doesn't feel a need to drive (ok, that may be construed as a GOOD thing). She's not walking as much as she should. And complains of pain more than she should (that one's kind of subjective on my part). And the coughing, which leads to spitting and throwing up clear liquid, and sometimes (we think it's a side-effect of one of her medications) actually vomits. Something just seems wrong. But should the regular doctor get involved or the cardiologist?

OT: She griped to my husband this morning that the floors were filthy, as I hadn't vacuumed for two days. I was sitting at the same table. I was right there. But she didn't say anything to me. I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I HATE TO BE IGNORED!

That's enough of that.

UPDATE: The Hubby finally got M-in-L to go to her family doctor! I was told it looks like she's getting pneumonia. He put her on penicillin. Maybe I'm being reactionary, but shouldn't she be in a hospital (not Logan County)?

No comments: