Thursday, September 16, 2004

Digging Himself Deeper...

Tom Coburn has done it again. Oklahoma has the second largest Native American population in the nation, you don't piss them off.

From the transcript of Judy Woodruff (a little more than half way down),

TOM COBURN (R), SENATORIAL CANDIDATE: Politics, I can assure you, is no fun.
WOODRUFF (voice-over): Not for former Congressman Tom Coburn, at least. Not these days. With Election Day looming large, the Republican Senate candidate finds himself embroiled in controversy, battling old charges of Medicaid fraud.
COBURN: You're taken an unfounded accusation from a sleazy, liberal dot-com and making it something real.
WOODRUFF: Earlier this week, salon.com reported that 14 years ago, Coburn, an obstetrician, sterilized a woman without her consent during surgery to relieve an ectopic pregnancy. Coburn didn't report the sterilization to Medicaid, saying the cost would not have been covered by insurance since the woman was under 21.The woman later filed suit. But Coburn insists she repeatedly asked to be sterilized.
COBURN: And the fact is that she's sitting there dying with a belly full of blood. And had I sterilized her before when I she asked me to, she wouldn't have gotten in that place. So, when she asked me to do that this time I did. And I'd do it again.
WOODRUFF: Before the story broke, polls had Coburn locked in a tight race with Democratic Congressman Brad Carson. Now Democrats see an opening.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Dr. Coburn's character and integrity are absolutely in question.
WOODRUFF: But Coburn remains defiant... COBURN: If you think my character is wrong, go do the hard work to prove it.

Umm, dude, I think you just did.

No comments: