Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Guns, Guns Guns!

We went to the gun show Sunday. The Hubby was disappointed, they didn't have what he wanted (some sort of really, really hard bullet). They did have a lot of guns, pretty much the same ones over and over again, of varying prices.

I guess here's where I diverge from alot of Liberal Democrats. I enjoy shooting, too. I have two handguns of my own: a 22 and a 9mm (both Rugers). I'm better with the 22 mainly because I've had more practice with it. There's just something sooo cathartic about blowing holes through a paper bad guy. Every bit of anger, frustration and hatred is gone and you're left feeling confident, in control! I could've used that Monday, I was really grumpy. Knitting, however, is different. Knitting is a Zen thing. You're in the moment. You're one with your needles, the piece you're knitting. You're not happy, you're not sad, you just are.
The Hubby wants to teach me to shoot a rifle. I've shot his Mini-14, but it kind of annoys me. I'm nearsighted, so I can either see the target, or I can see the sights, which doesn't bother me when I'm shooting my handgun, but bugs the crap out of me with a rifle.

Now, my husband is not a "Gun Nut". He is a Gun Hobbyist. He will tell you that there are people who should not own a gun. And they are out in force at gun shows. Now, as the Hubby has taught me, you always treat any weapon as if loaded! But whatever weapon they're looking at, carting around, they'll point it right at you, like it's some kinda white boy's toy.

And, of course, everybody there is a one issue person. Even though you'd think every other issue would trump that one.

There's the table that sells militia/separatist books (i.e. Anarchis's Cookbook).
There's the table selling rebel/Confederate stuff, flags, bumper stickers, etc. (hello, you lost. - And don't give me that state's rights thing - they were fighting for the right to own a human being as property. Now it holds no purpose other than race baiting. Geez, can't we get past that already?!)
There are the obligatory women's tables: jewelry, beany babies, and the like. Yeah, I'm not the only woman taken out to a gun show.
And now days there are as many knive sellers as guns. All kinds, too. You can ususally find at least one Lord of the Rings sword, there were two at this one.

All in all, it was a good day. It's a great place to people watch. I recommend it highly.

I tried to post this yesterday, but had problems with it. weird.

No comments: