Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Catharsis

My first week of unemployment done (not done?).

Supposedly, there is a well out in Roger Mills County that's been pumping away for about 2 months, but I haven't seen a dime's worth of royalties (come in handy right about now). My Cousin the Lawyer is handling all that stuff for us. On the upside, I got a chunk of change for something called a seismograph.

Also, my Father-in-Law, deceased for 4 years now, was one of those Depression-era babies. He saved almost everything "for retirement": aluminum cans (a shed and a 40 ft stock trailerful - thankfully gone now), aluminum crap, for lack of a better term, like chair bodies, ect; copper tubing, old (decaying) electrical cords (we filled an old stock watering tank full, for God's sake!); also brass fittings and iron and steel and old cars. What's left now (well, you can't really be sure what's buried in the weeds out in the pasture), is the iron and steel and old cars. But we're not sure it would pay to bring them into the recycler.

So, right now anyway, we're ok. We're still waiting on the royalty money, and getting kind of discouraged. Even though it should come soon, it doesn't seem like it's going to, y'know? And, I have to admit I haven't really been looking for a job, well, seriously. I scan the Sunday ads, shoot a glance at Monster.com and careerbuilder.com, have perused OK state jobs and federal jobs (through firstgov.gov). But it's like I don't want to work. NO, no, no, its EXACTLY that I don't want to work.

With the Hubby's health (physical and mental) in decline, I don't want to be 20, 30, 40 or more miles away for 8, 10, 12 hours a day! I know he's a grown man and can still, mostly, take care of himself. But that's part of it. I'm not making myself understood.

I want to be with him and do things with him while he still can. But, unless the mythical royalty money comes I won't be able to do that. And, I don't think I can get a job. My mind isn't in it. Interviewing requires a skill I just don't have. It doesn't matter how well you do the job, it only matters how well you interview (Southwest proved that).

OH yeah, depression covers this house like a fog, thinner for me, thicker for the Hubby. Hell, the Hubby I would catagorize as quasi-suicidal. He's not over the edge yet, but he can see it, and, right now at least, keep himself from it. Me, all I need is a good Lexapro prescription. But I don't have insurance, and the Hubby's Medicare only pays 50% for mental health - and, yeah he needs the excellent St Anthony's treatment I had (close to a year ago).

Well, I thought I should write. I wish I had more than 2 or 3 readers.

No comments: